This recipe didn’t seem like it would be all that special when I first made it. After all, it was mashed potatoes that were baked. Two things that had always been done to the spud family, but it turned out to be a unique and delightful side dish.
I do think however, that the next time I make this I will be modifying it a bit. Perhaps only two eggs, and add some cream cheese or shredded cheese to the mix. After all, everything’s better with cheese, right? 😉
The eggs did make this dish fluffy and airy, but I think 4 eggs was a bit too much for it. So if you decide to make this recipe feel free to try my future mods and let me know how it turns out. You can be my Guinea pigs. 😀
Mashed Potato Bake
- 4 lbs. (1.8kg) russet potatoes (about 8 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 cup half & half (Paul’s extra light thickened cream, for my Aussie readers)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C) and place oven rack in the upper middle position.
- Cut up the potatoes (skin on) into cubes and place in a pot.
- Cover potatoes with water and let it come to a boil, cooking until the potatoes are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Combine the half & half, butter, garlic, mustard and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat until smooth and warmed.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them into a large bowl.
- Whip the potatoes, slowly adding the half & half mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs 1 at a time until incorporated.
- Mix in the chopped chives.
- Place the potato mixture into a greased 2 quart (2.25 litters) baking dish and smooth over the top.
- Bake until the potatoes rise and brown, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot.
About the author Chyina
I’m a Goth/Hippie who loves to try new things and dabbles in anything and everything that I find enjoyment in. That can include but is not limited to, cooking, art, digital design, jewellery making, photography, gardening, nature, animals and whatever else strikes my fancy. I’m an optimistic (occasionally) perfectionist (constantly), who can be very sarcastic (incessantly), but all in good humour. :)