I didn’t find out until well later in life, that hotcakes (pancakes to the US), waffles and the like are considered to be desserts in a lot of countries (outside the US). Of course, in the US they are firmly smacked in the breakfast category (Now that I live in Australia, I get the best of both worlds!). Whether you have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert or anywhere in between, these hotcakes will make you swoon. Be sure you make enough to go around, because they won’t last long, and you don’t want a fight on your hands over the final cake! 😉
Ricotta Berry and Yogurt Hotcakes
- Prep Time: 10mins
- Cooking time: 20mins
- Makes: 12
- 1 ⅓ cups fresh ricotta
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated, keep both yolks & whites
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ¼ cup caster sugar (white sugar)
- 10g butter, melted
- 125g raspberries
- 125g blueberries
- 1 cup Greek-style natural Yoghurt
- ½ cup natural honey
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, for dusting (powdered sugar)
- Mix ricotta, milk and egg yolks in a bowl, sift in flour, add sugar and combine.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, and gently fold into ricotta mixture.
- Heat a large non stick frying pan over a medium to low heat.
- Brush pan lightly with butter.
- Drop ¼ cup of hot cake batter into pan, 2 to 3 at a time, spreading to 10cm rounds with the back of a spoon.
- Cook until bubbles form on top. Flip and finish cooking.
- Combine berries in a bowl.
- Place hotcakes on plate.
- Top with berries and yogurt.
- Drizzle over honey, and dust with icing sugar.
Optional Toppings: Try different fruits, like pineapple, passion fruit, or mangoes.
Tip: If you don’t want your already made cakes to get cold while you finish cooking the rest of the batter, pop them in a preheated oven until you are ready to serve
About the author Chyina
I’m a Goth/Hippie who loves to try new things and dabbles in anything and everything that I find enjoyment in. That can include but is not limited to, cooking, art, digital design, jewellery making, photography, gardening, nature, animals and whatever else strikes my fancy. I’m an optimistic (occasionally) perfectionist (constantly), who can be very sarcastic (incessantly), but all in good humour. :)