I for one love potatoes! In fact they are one of my favorite foods (cheese being tied for first). So I haven’t met a spud yet that I didn’t like. This is no exception. Though I have this as a “main dish” recipe (because of the meat in it), it would make a great side dish as well, just leave out the pastrami. 😉
Pastrami Potato Cake
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Serves: 4
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 125g (4.5oz) of pastrami, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) Red Delight potatoes, peeled, diced
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Heat 1tbs of oil in a large frying pan, over medium heat.
- Add onion and pastrami, cooking for 5 mins, or until the onions are golden.
- Add cabbage and cook until soft, stirring frequently.
- Peel and cut potatoes into tiny pieces (about 1cm/¼inch).
- Put onion mixture in a bowl lined with paper towels.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in the pan.
- When bubbles have subsided, and the potatoes and season (salt/pepper to taste).
- Cover and cook, over medium heat, for about 15 mins. Be sure to turn the potatoes occasionally.
- Whisk eggs, sour cream and mustard together in a bowl.
- Return onion mixture to pan, with potatoes, and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and onion mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about 10 mins, or until set and edge is golden.
- Preheat your oven on the ‘grill’ setting (top heating element only).
- Sprinkle the top of your potato cake with your Gruyere cheese.
- ‘Grill’ for about 5 mins or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Optional: add an extra dollop of sour cream to top each serving. (I love my sour cream! 😉 )
Tip: Steamed veggies go nicely with this dish as a complimentary side.
- Have you tried this recipe? How did you like it?
- Did you make it, but gave it a few tweaks? What did you add/change?
About the author Chyina
I’m a Goth/Hippie who loves to try new things and dabbles in anything and everything that I find enjoyment in. That can include but is not limited to, cooking, art, digital design, jewellery making, photography, gardening, nature, animals and whatever else strikes my fancy. I’m an optimistic (occasionally) perfectionist (constantly), who can be very sarcastic (incessantly), but all in good humour. :)