The cheese sauce for this turned out nice! Normally I can’t stand trying to make a creamy cheese sauce from real cheese, lol. I usually by a smooth pre-made cheese sauce form the store. Where I am currently living in Australia, they don’t have the type of sauce I’m use to using. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Although, I’m sure I didn’t invent the first homemade cheese sauce, I am still proud of it.
For a creamy, cheesy, vegetable macaroni look no further! A wonderful homemade meal to please even the most picky cheese and pasta eater. At least I think so. 😉
Veggie Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yields: 2-4 servings
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups Elbow Macaroni
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar (or your fave cheese)
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Boil a pot of salted water. Once water is boiling, add pasta, and cook for 8-10 minutes, then drain.
- Place broccoli, mushrooms, carrots and onion on a paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add macaroni and vegetables.
- Mix well and serve!
About the author Chyina
I’m a Goth/Hippie who loves to try new things and dabbles in anything and everything that I find enjoyment in. That can include but is not limited to, cooking, art, digital design, jewellery making, photography, gardening, nature, animals and whatever else strikes my fancy. I’m an optimistic (occasionally) perfectionist (constantly), who can be very sarcastic (incessantly), but all in good humour. :)